Tuesday, July 26, 2016

All Is Fair In Love And Law






Practicing Law Without a License

Many opposing attorneys have bullied advocates with the threat of “practicing law without a license”

The issue has come up in several of the cases I am working on. During an Investigative Conference at the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) a lawyer for United Parcel Service (UPS) asserted to the Hearing Officer that I should not be allowed to represent my client. The Hearing Officer ignored him. He made the assertion a second time and then the Hearing Officer said the Commission allows non attorneys at this stage of proceedings.

 It came up again today when I joined a blockade of a bank auction of a foreclosed house. The main organizer, Lori, told me of how a bank attorney shouted in court that she would face criminal charges for practicing law without a license. She was not sitting at the Defendant’s, but in gallery. The bank’s attorney was practicing intimidation and bullying.

For all of the cases in which the Worcester Anti Foreclosure Team (WAFT) supports homeowners, the homeowners are pro se. They represent themselves.

According to Lori the banks’ attorneys have declared war on WAFT. I was a little confused as the banks’ attorneys get paid either way. She said that with the approximately 34 cases of foreclosures being defended by pro se homeowners, the banks’ attorneys have to work harder and make relatively less money

The law about licensed lawyer is applicable to disbarred attorneys or to someone who falsely represents themselves as an attorney. I am not an attorney.

In my lawsuit against Turtleboy, his lawyer, Margaret Melican , threatened to have me investigated for practicing law without a license. Her threat was hollow as the venues in which I practice do not have a requirement of being a lawyer to represent clients.

The MCAD allows non attorneys to practice through the initial investigation. The Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) and respective Housing Authorities do not require representatives of clients to be lawyers.  

As a rule all courts whether State or Federal require representatives of clients to be lawyers. Of course a person can represent himself as pro se.  For both of my cases, Davis vs. Turtleboy and Gaffney vs. Davis, I am a pro se party.

A lawyer value is found in his knowledge of court rules and legal concepts. It is easy to confuse evidence with a charge or count. For example in State courts denial of Federal FMLA cannot be a charge, but it can be evidence of bias. What lay person is familiar with the Courts’ rules for Interrogatories and their one year cutoff date?

It has been my experience that there is a courtesy that other court officers extend to lawyers that is not extended to pro se parties. Many lawyers call each other “brother” or “sister”.

If you are pro se expect to face disrespect. I recall a case in which I shipped a box of papers to an attorney. The paper in the box were not stamped with a number and I asked that the box be shipped back. My adversary refused and told me to come and get it. So I had to go to Boston and get a 40 pound box of papers.



I suppose now, that all is fair in love and law.

No comments:

Post a Comment